Friday, May 7, 2010

Volver

Since awarded not only as a film per se, but also Penelope Cruz as a best actress, I've seen quite a publicity here and there before actually watching.
It made me feel it was just about an intimate relationship between a mother and a daughter.
I almost thought it would bring you a brand-new Almodovar's world.

Actually, at the very beginning, one of main characters claims that she saw a woman that is techinically impossible. Because she's been dead for a long time.
I've never hunched that things would revolve around a issue of being visible or invisible, just like SF or ghost thing or something, but at least, it's truth that I simply sensed something different from his other movies.

But I figured out soon that the story was not going on as I first guessed when I watched one second scene of a father taking a glance of her daughter sitting down on the sofa rudely with her legs widely spread... Here you go...
Almodovar is Aldmodovar, you know what I mean.
Then his world starts.
At the end, the mother and the daughter, who had been mentally and physically estranged, reunits.
In this way, the publicity tells the truth.
But my focus was a diversity of vigorous women in the film and their bond.

Raimunda (Penelope Cruz) handles a restaurant without a decent permission of a property owner, at where she put her husband's corpse behind in the fridge.
When she dumps the huge professional-use refrigerator with the remains inside, it's all women living neighborhood helps her this heavy-lifting.

When she has to prepare loads of meals for a big party at the restaurant with a short notice, she gets ingredient from neighboring women.

It seems the smartest and fastest way in the land and they all agree to barter with her.

Meanwhile, men are portrayed as quite opposite creature.
They're all bustards, like trying to do incest or having an affair with someone very close...

There are some I don't quite understand what Almodovar's trying to express, but this "Volver" was not one of them, luckily:-)

Putting the plotline side, the screen was always vivid and full of bright colors.
Women never wear dark-colored cloth and I love that !!

2 comments:

fumiko said...

娘役の女の子、ロナウジーニョに激似じゃない?

persimmon1a said...

>>fumiko
うん、かわいくなかった。。。
あたし、意外にボルベールキライじゃないかも。ま、「Talk to Her」にはかなうはずもないけどね☆