Sunday, August 15, 2010

Friends

When it comes to "Friends", a megahit American sitcome "Friend" will definitely comes to your mind.
But there's another "Friends" out there, although it's nothing to compare with the American one. No offense, guys.

It was broadcasted in 2002 as a co-produced TV drama of South Korea and Japan.
Considered when it was collaboratively shot, was it one of promotional things for 2002 World Cup joint-hosted by the both countries?

Anyway, I watched this back then. Just because I knew WonBin was a good-looking guy! After almost decade, the other day, it was aired again, turing on the TV...

To put it in a nutshell, it's a long-distance relationship story between a Japanese woman and a Korean guy, who met each other in Hong Kong during their respective trips.
As you could simply guess, they are confronted with language barrier, cultural difference involving family matters and so on...

One thing stroke me is one line by the Korean boy.
"What's wrong with (my) parents expecting me to succeed their pedigree?"
"And what's wrong with me trying to follow this as their oldest son, instead of pursing my own dream?"

This is what he said when his Japanese girlfriend encouraged him not to give up his dream of being a film director.

I know Korean society puts highly premium on family, based on Confucianism.
But that's all I know for now. I really want to know more about this. My curiosity has been set a fire.

I've finished reading more than 5 books on K society and culture. And I'm still a bookworm.

No comments: