Thursday, March 4, 2010

Waiting for Snow in Havana

I've just finished reading!!
"Waiting for snow in Havana" "Confession of a Cuban boy"
Sounds gripping ! How could I resist?!
That's what I felt when I first had a look at only the title by chance.
Besides, this book earned some kinds of awards in the US.
Never bore me, maybe...

The author is a White Cuban who left his country with his elder brother when he was 12 or so.
The book is mostly dedicated to how he played with his friends,
how he spent his times with his family and relatives and so on.
Truethfuliy, it was nothing to interest me.
Like a torture to read through, haha...
It was a bit different from what I had thought.

I expected more about how he managed to survive in the States after leaving his own country.
Actually, only one or two chapters are referred to that,
but not enough for me.



He was there, living several blocks away from he'd like to call a "palace " of Che when the Revolution changed everything in the country.
A little disappointing thing is, a car Che was driving or riding, whatever, was Mercedes Benz.
He is considered to be an idealist, sometimes said to be going overboard, so I didin't imagine anything extravagance. It's like, turned out he was not a perfectionist.

One thing that I could confirm again is only upper middle-classed can have a option to move out to the country, I mean, legally.
Actually, his family was well-off as his father adopted a boy and three kids had each diffrent maids...


FYI... this book is banned to publish in Cuba, you know why ...

No comments: