Monday, April 5, 2010

Up in the Air

I've been kinda down lately,
probably it's because of this spell of very unsettled weather.
One day it makes me overjoyed that spring has definitely come, but the next day it was freezing cold like crazy. You, traitor !!

Then Linda offered me a helping out. It's a nightout.
In our case, it's not boozing. It basically means watching a movie in the theater.
Our choice for tonight was "Up in the Air" starring George Cloony.

Ryan (George Cloony) is a corporate downsizer.
He travels around the U.S and he's on the road on 360 days through a year.
This accounts mostly for what brought me to the theater.
I expected some unseen sights of the U.S in the film and I had some, actually.

Even if I couldn't have had enough, just knowing city names that I've never heard of would be excite me.
I'm a "map-addict" since I was a kid...

Omaha, Nebraska, where his company is located, is the first meet with me this time around.
According to Wiki, Omaha is famous for Omaha steaks and it's a birthplace of Malcolm X...
Umm, good learning.

He conducts layoffs for bosses too cowardly to do it themselves.
Not only physically, but also emotionally, he doesn't belong to anywhere.
He's single (maybe he's a catch at least financially;-) and he doen't have adequate contact even with his original family.
But this is all his will.

A voluntarily-isolated Ryan's story developes with two women. Alex is also a frequent flyer who starts a casual relationship with Ryan.

Personally, it was dull all through the course of this plot. I'd prefer more focused on his pink slipping business and I needed more stories evolved around this. I don't have any idea on how common this occupation is in the stateside, but at least it was a quite new to me and I just wanted more about this.

In that point, things with another woman Natalie was a good element for me, which I won't tell any here, though..

There was someone just behind my seat in the theater, who laughed out loud so ugliliy, which was annoying, to be honest. Nobody would have had any clue what was so funny about for her becasue she was the only one at certain points.

But there was one hilarious scene to me. Ryan heard her wrong when a CA spoke to him for collecting empty cans. "Do you have a can, sir?" Guess how he understood her. He took it "Do you have a cancer?" Can this happen to Americans ?? It was funny enough...

The movie starts with an American folk song "This land is your land" It might be nice to listen to an old song like this from time to time.

No comments: