Thursday, March 25, 2010

This Is England

A British guy that I know, practically he's just follows me on Twitter, (it's so this-day-and-age ;-) warned me that "this was not entirely England".
I think I've been aware of that, but I admit this film was intriguing.

Shaun is a 12-year-old boy in a blue-collar family in a suburban town.
His father died in the Falkland war.

One day schoolfellows make fun of Shaun about his father.
When he is trudging home, he runs into a skinhead group that consists of young, but much older guys.
A leader of the group, Woody accepts him as a member and Shaun finds a big brother in Woody.
They're united this way...

Things starts to change drastically when Combo, other skinhead returns to the group after a prison sentence. Unlike Woody, Combo clearly express his standpoint of disgusting immigrants as an English nationalist.

I understand everything is no good if it goes to the extreme, but I think what Combo advocates is partly right. Immigrants should be got rid of so that people in England always get a decent job. What's wrong with this? Seems to make sense.

In our case, not exactly, OK, I'll make it straight-out, in my case, what if more and more people from other Asian countries, mainly could-be China, flooded to here Japan. I'm sure it's gonna be harder to secure a job. Especiallt an entry-leveled position that I'm currently involved. Sorry, I'm living in a small world, I know.

Shaun has a better reason to go to Combo's group than anybody.
Because his father fought for England was killed for England.
It's a cliche... their bond is messed up when booze , woman and drugs come into the group.
Shaun throws his St. George's Cross flag into the sea and this is the last cut of the film.

After the movie, I looked up the Folkland War on the Internet.
I'm not done yet, but one thing that I realized is there're tons of things out there that I hardly know about. Actually I know the War only by name and where Fokland is.
Besides the War, in 1960's black culture like ska, soul and reggae became adopted by white nationarists. It seems to be controdictory each other, but anyway it was also quite new to me.
I'm so ignorant !!

No comments: