Thursday, August 5, 2010

Cry Freedom

This had been highly recommended by my friend and finally the time has come!
It's set in the late 70's during the apartheid era of South Africa, but it was shot mainly in Zimbabwe due to political turmoil in SA.

I was told that it would be good to know about a black activist, Steve Biko.
I assumed that it must be a kind of his bio movie, but it turned out not to be necessarily.

Yes, of course, Biko was a significant role.
But from what I understand, it should be Donald Woods' rather than Biko if you'd like to categorize as a bio movie.

Woods is a white journalist who developes a friendship with Biko.
After Biko's brutal death, it was Woods that police targeted at.



He takes a long trek through several countries, disguising as a priest and he maneged to fly away from SA to England to publish a book on this corrupt and racist authorities.
The film is motly dedicated to this part, I think.

There's one scene filmed in a town with its symbolic clock tower while Woods runs away.
This is exactly where she used to live for 3 years.

She always says "Don't you miss it !!" Well, actually I missed it, completely. I didn't even noticed slightly.

It might be just my carelessness, but simultaneously I'm feeling how deeply edged in the heart your firsthand experiences are, no matter what they are. Nothing beats them.

No comments: