Sunday, August 1, 2010

Taste the World

"Taste the World" was held again.
(Please refer to here for the last time)
The last time, the venue was mainly dedicated to photos taken all over the world, but talk session was the major part this time around.

My friend R.K had fieldwork in Uganda while in graduate school and he talked about it with a slide show.


Well, first of all, he seemed to get very used to speak in public, although I could pretty much guess he'd say "Not at all".
Even if he actually doesn't, he was still good at it. I'm sure of it.

He told in his sppech what brough him here and it made a total sense to me. Here's what he talked.

At first, he was not necessarily interested in what he's involved right now, which is international cooperative activities.
One day when he was serving himself as a voluntary music teacher in Zimbabwe, he started feeling a bit empty.
It doesn't mean he enjoyed his task there, actually he had a lot of enjoyable quality time with kids, singing playing together.

However, he realized this could be temporary. It's just for now that they are being happy. Nothing has created for their better future. There must be something he can do for them.
That's how he decided to step into this field.

It was quite reasonable and understandable.
To tell the truth, when it comes to global cooperation or something, I don't deny that hypocrisy comes to my mind, like this is something elevated and also pure-hearted people do.
But nothing like that was found in his talk. I assume that he just naturally into this world.

I have little to contribute, but promise me that you keep me posted your work, R.K? OK?!

No comments: