Friday, July 30, 2010

Life and Debt

To understand more what kind of situation Jamaica has been facing against, I decided to watch this documentary.
But I wasn't focused enough to catch the point perfectly... It was a bit boring to just listen to former President or some other senior officials talk about the economic and social condition.

Here are several points I managed to grab from the film.
IMF or World Bank loan money under strict condition that Jamaica never ever seems to achieve, like trade liberalization, privatization and so on.
For instance, they have to accept imported crops from the States, which originally produced in Latin American countries.
As you could imagine, it prevents domestic agriculture stop to grow since they are lower-priced.
Overall, it critiques the West and the West-oriented global organization.
All I can do is just pray for better tomorrow for most of people in Jamaica who are not wealthy.
I dare to use the term "tomorrow" instead of "future".
What I've heard from a Japanese woman living in Kingston for more than 15 years, people only set their eyes on this coming tomorrow every single day.

No comments: